Sunday, June 28, 2009

Ridin' For Robert

Robert and Sue are known for their ability to get very young kids up on their hand-built waterski. A lot of family and friends got their start on that little plywood ski, some just two years old. It is one of the coolest things to see little kids out there - usually not knowing what has happened.

Robert and Sue brought us a ski last year to get our twin girls up on. They had obviously put time into bending the front up, cutting it out, making fins and footstraps out of nothing. Robert told me that it was a prototype, but the next one would be pink and better than the first. All summer I wanted to be able to call Robert and Sue to tell them we got the girls up on it, but it never happened.
I decided to strip down the ski that Robert made to bare bones and make it the sweet dude he planned on. Brooklyn helped me sand it down so I could fiberglass it and paint it. The ski ended up looking great. I finished Friday night after way too many hours of labor, determined to go boating Saturday and MAKE them get on it.




I'll keep it short and say that both of my girls were thrilled to get out on it and when I asked them if they were ready to get off, they both replied "not yet!" They did it several times each. We were Ridin' For Robert. Thanks Robert and Sue, you can add two more to your long list of young riders.

1 comment:

  1. It was a lot of fun to be there and watch this happen! It was almost like Robert was there rooting them on!

    ReplyDelete